Scene 88

Scene Eighty-eight...St. Petersburg
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, October 26, 1946
Place: The beach
Storyteller: Janet


Nothing like a stroll along the shore after ballet class. It cools the sore feet. That looks like Sergey coming my way. Good. I need to talk with him.

"Master, do you have a few minutes? I could use some advice."

"Of course."

"Madame 'C' suggests I spend my senior year in Paris and take dance lessons after school hours."

He looks sad. "That would be excellent for your Rockettes career. Anna and I will help you find teachers...and it will be best for me, also. I love my wife, but you are like a haunting ghost from the past."

Tears flow down my cheeks.

Sergey continues, "You remind me of my old country. I had to leave, but miss it...Russia before the revolution...St. Petersburg. My home has changed names twice since then. 1914, Petrograd. 1924, Leningrad. I still can't call it that. I won't. Someday it will be my St. Petersburg again. Someday..."

"I hope it's soon, Sergey."

"Enough about me. How is your dad doing?"


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17