Scene 90

Scene Ninety...Paris
Time: After lunch, Sunday, November 3, 1946
Place: Robert's home
Storyteller: Janet


"I want to spend my senior year in Paris." I announce.

Betty, William, and Paul gasp.

Dad looks surprised, but no signs of heart failure. Thank you God.

"I spent the summer between 'Hill School' and 'Penn' in Europe. Should have stayed longer," says Dad. "Why Paris?"

"That's the best way to finish high school and study advanced dance at the same time. Madame, Anna, and Sergey have all the right connections."

"Your mother and I'll meet with them and work out the details."

Betty's jaw drops.

"Tony and I are researching vineyards in Provence as an investment. Been thinking about moving there in '48. We should be able to push it up a year, if Janet is serious about Paris."

"I'm serious, alright."

"Do I have any say in the matter? Mom asks.

"I assumed you'd be thrilled to move to the artistic center of the world," replies Dad.

"All this is sudden to say the least. I'm almost afraid to get my hopes up...to paint in Provence..."


"Another thing, Dad continues.
I'm tired of these hurricanes.
Look at the damage to Palm Beach last week,
this late in the storm season.
I'm tired of wondering,
when will it be Miami's turn again?
I'm tired of remembering '26."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17