Scene 89

Scene Eighty-nine...We'll Stay
Time: Evening, Saturday, November 2, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: William


"How's your dad doing?" I ask.

"Looked great today. Wonderful. Back to work. Lost a few pounds. Quit smoking."

"I can see and smell all that, but how is he really doing...deep down?"

"He couldn't be any better, under the circumstances. I'm more worried about us."

"Worried because...you're afraid to ever mention moving again?"

"This changes things, William. What if..." She's choked up...about to cry.

"Don't worry at all, Betty. We'll stay as long as you like."

"But I don't want to stay."

"I know. Come over here."

She crosses the small room. We curl up together.

It's been too much for my wife; she can't take anymore.
What if she learns the business Janet knows about Harry?

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17