Scene 91

Scene Ninety-one...Thanksgiving, 1946
Time: 2:00 PM, Thursday, November 28, 1946
Place: Robertson's home
Storyteller: Janet


I'm tired of waiting for them. Might as well get a drink.

Paul's out back, behind the bar. I'll put in my order before the rush. "Sloe gin and coke, please."

In goes my first shot of booze. "You deserve it," he says.

That sounds like a motorcycle. Betty and William arrive with hands too full to pet Lucy.

Mom rings the dinner bell. "Say a prayer, Harry, then carve the turkey."

"How soon after Christmas are you leaving?" I ask Betty and William.

"We're going next week. Have a lot of stops to make," my sister answers.

"All family?" Nosy me.

"First Tony and then the grandparents," she replies.

"And finally, the Rockettes!" William smiles at me.

I kick him under the table.

"What about Tom?" Mom asks.

"Doc and Sal are fighting over him," answers Betty.

"That reminds me! Speaking of Doc, he and Madame were eating a cozy dinner at Sal's last Saturday night...candlelight and wine...sorry Dad. Were you going to say something?"

"I'm glad you decided to sell the boat and buy 'The Betty II' in Nice," he says to William.

"If alone, I'd sail to France, but won't chance it with my wife."

"Thank goodness," Dad sighs. "Tell me about your flights."

"New York to Lisbon. Including stops, it only takes 20 hours, 45 minutes." William tells all the boring details.

Betty chimes in, "Then we'll take a ship from Lisbon to Nice. Can't wait to go through the Strait of Gibraltar."

The turkey has made me sleepy...or is it the drink? Lucy is on the sofa snoring. That's a good sign nobody's sick. Think I'll excuse myself and join her.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3