Scene 13

Scene thirteen...Coach
Time: Morning, Saturday, January 26, 1946
Place: Viridian Library
Storyteller: Janet


He's not on his boat, not at the gym. I ride my bike over to the library. His motorcycle is in the parking lot.

There's William, in the medical section. "Be quiet, Squirt," he says.

Miss Thompson is already giving us the evil eye...witch.

I whisper in his ear, "Emergency. Let's get out of here."

He slides the heavy book back on the shelf.

William holds the door open for me. We're outside. He says, "Thanks. I better get to the hospital."

"Why?"

"You said emergency."

"Wait, it's not a medical emergency."

"Don't ever use that term again, if it isn't a medical emergency!"

"Okay, it's a problem. My problem."

"Let's sit on that bench in the shade. What is it?"

"You can never tell anybody, even Betty...especially not Betty."

"Stop. I don't like the sound of this."

"Neither do I; Mom got pregnant before they married and had to quit her dream job at The Met."

"I didn't want to hear that. Who knows this?"

"Mom, Dad, me...and now you...in that order."

"How did you find out?"

"Love letters in the attic. They made a secret pact to never tell a soul. People think they eloped on May 4th and then had a church wedding October 5th. Problem is, they never eloped. I can't tell anyone, ever, except you."

"Pray tell, why me?"

"Because I'm never going to date again. Don't want to end up like Mom. Career ruined. I'm going to focus on dance and not let anybody stand in my way. That's why I need your help."

"What kind of help?"

"Food and exercise. You're an expert. I need a coach."

"You could get hurt. Gregory Peck suffered a back injury while getting dance lessons from Martha Graham. That's why he was exempt from the military."

"Teach me to box, not dance."

"No way I'm taking you to the gym. The Giant has barely forgiven me for my incompetence on New Years Eve."

"Fine. Just show me a few boxing moves to help my endurance. Rockettes have to dance six shows per day at the height of Christmas season."

"You have actually investigated this Rockettes business. Very impressive."

"Since that terrible incident with Don in front of Joe's, I've been thinking about how to fight off men."

He replies, "Betty should learn, too. Remember the way she screamed that night? Tell her you want me to give the two of you self defense lessons. See what kind of reaction you get."

"And will you teach me about food?"

"Gladly. For starters, no more potato chips. No more cokes either. I take that back. You may have one fountain coke, one day per week, with your boyfriends."

"It will have to be with girlfriends. Remember, I'll never date again...Mom's letters taught me a lesson."


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3