Scene 10

Scene Ten...Sailing Party
Time: Afternoon-evening, Monday, December 31, 1945
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: Janet

Betty thanks William for grilling the mackerel steaks. In return, he bends over backwards to compliment her on the broccoli and rice casserole.

Then, he notices me. "Why are you so down in the dumps, Squirt?"

"Dad will make me quit all dance classes if I make a 'C' in math."

"Math was my favorite subject. Couldn't do research without it. Want some help?"

"Yes, yes, yes."

"Next problem?" he asks. 

"Dad likes Doris better than me."

Betty laughs, "Don't be ridiculous. She's just more like him, only quieter and less controlling. You scare Daddy with all your 'I'm not going to college' talk." 

"I'm not. They don't teach dance at U.M. Without ballet, the Rockettes won't hire me."

William asks if I'm taking ballet.

"Yes, but my teacher...she's French...thinks I'll eventually need more advanced classes. More jazz and tap, too."

"Okay," he concludes, "so for now you need to bring your math grade up and study dance with the teacher who is French. And please, please, listen politely when your dad makes college suggestions. Smile. Be nice. The poor man has enough trouble with Paul. Give him a break."

Betty leaps like a cheerleader, clapping enthusiastically. "Bravo! Bravo!"

He takes a couple of fake bows. "Drinks ladies?"

"Sloe gin and coke." It doesn't hurt to ask.

He gives me a lemon coke, but puts rum in Betty's. "Happy New Year," William makes a toast.
"Let's sail out to Fowey light before sunset. Then swing back to Miami Beach for the fireworks. Did you bring winter jackets?" He looks at the responsible sister.

She nods.

It's about time we learn more about Betty's boyfriend. "You've been sailing long?"

"Raised on the Chesapeake Bay. Got an after school job at the yacht club. They started me out with a mop, but promoted me to crew aboard sailboats." 

"It's cold up there." I interrupt his story.

"Tell me about it! In December of '39, I was in a terrible boating accident. Went overboard. Woke up in a Virginia Beach hospital with Father Tony by my side."

"Your priest-dad." I interrupt again. "Please continue."

"Was delirious. Thought I was Superman."

"Really? Those are great comics." I change the subject.

He carries on, "I've been a fanatic since they debuted in '38. Read them all."

"Why?" Betty never reads comics. She genuinely wonders why anyone would bother.

"The Kryptonite baby was an orphan. So was I."

"Oh. That makes perfect sense now. You have something very important in common with Superman." Betty flips the topic to psychology.

The adults chatter on about boring stuff. I see Soldier Key on my left. It's covered with grass, shrubs, and mangroves. Looks like a mosquito haven. We must be about three miles west of Fowey rocks. No wonder they built a lighthouse there.

There's a wind change. The "lovebirds" don't seem to notice.

"Boom!" Oh my God, thunder. They notice that. William flies into action, moving sails around.

The black clouds release rain. Lots of rain. Cold rain. And lightening. Where's my jacket? We're drifting toward the lighthouse and rocks. How did this happen?

Just as suddenly...it's over. Sun peeks out. We're confused. We're shivering.

"Get down there and put on my dry clothes," he orders.

Betty and I obey. We promptly return to deck feeling cozy, but looking like a comedy act.

"Your turn," she says.

"Please bring me a sweatshirt. I'm afraid to take my eyes off the sky," he sighs with relief.

When will he stop saying "I'm sorry"? Over and over; William's like a broken record.

"What time do the fireworks begin?" I ask. 

"Haven't you had enough fireworks for one day? We're going home," he almost yells at me.

"You mean I won't be seeing fireworks til July 4th? That's half a year."

"Right. Sorry," he's still apologizing.

"Doris said I can spend the night."

"Great. She'll take good care of you both. I'll tell your dad in the morning."

"What?" I shout.

"That won't be necessary, William." Betty is more diplomatic than me.

"It certainly is necessary. I risked his daughters' safety. Plus, he needs to keep an eye on Janet. She could catch pneumonia."

My sister hesitates, then agrees. "I guess you're right."

He adds, "Besides... 'the giant' knows everything. Might as well confess. What should I bring him as a peace offering?"

Betty has the nerve to suggest, "Stone crabs. Enough for all of us." 

Unlike me, she knows how to please dad.





Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3