Scene 15

Scene Fifteen...Advanced Ballet
Time: Morning, Saturday, February 2, 1946
Place: Viridian Library
Storyteller: Janet


I find William in the library. Medical section per usual. We leave because Miss Thompson hates me. It's seventy-five degrees and sunny. The bench in the shade looks inviting.

"You know I need advanced ballet for Rockettes."

"Yes. When?"

"Now."

"Your math grade is up. Seems like an ideal time to ask The Giant."

"Dad won't let me drive til sixteen. Mom won't drive outside Viridian. I'm stuck with the bike."

"Where are the advanced classes?"

"South Beach."

"That's better than North," William looks on the bright side.

"Lately Dad has been hinting that dance lessons are for kids. He thinks it's time for me to take more college prep classes."

William looks confused. "He said you could study dance if you keep the math up. 'B' is good."

"Deep down Dad knows that a dance career clashes with college. He's hoping I forget the dance-math deal."

"Well Janet, you have the memory of Lucy the Elephant. He's a man of his word. I assume these advanced teachers have impressive credentials?"

"Russia, Paris, New York."

"Perfect. Your dad appreciates a good education. And I heard him tell your mom she should get out of the house more. The Giant may surprise you."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17