Scene 16

Scene Sixteen...Convincing Mom
Time: 6:00 PM, Wednesday, February 6, 1946
Place: Robertson's home
Storyteller: Janet


Madame "C" gave me all the facts. The trick is to convince Mom. She'll convince Dad.

"It sounds like Mr. and Mrs. Brodsky are very well qualified," says Mom. "It's too bad their studio is on South Beach."

"Wouldn't you love to browse the Art Deco district while I'm in class? Plus you won't have to drive. Paul taught me well. All you need to do is sit there and watch me tootle down the road."

"Didn't you say they normally don't allow new ballet students mid semester?"

"Yes, but Madame 'C' is their good friend. She talked them into allowing me to audition on Saturday, a week."

"Janet, how will we ever find the studio? What if we get lost?"

"Madame offered to drive us."

"Won't you miss her? Ten years of lessons is a long time."

"No, I'll still see her on Mondays and Wednesdays for jazz and tap. Then instead of my Friday ballet class in Viridian, I'll go to South Beach on Saturday afternoons."

"It will remain three classes per week?" Mom wants to be sure of this.

"Yes. Please tell Dad that. And don't forget to talk about Sergey and Anna's vast experience in exotic countries."

"Maybe you should explain all these details to your father. Didn't you hear him walk through the back door?"

"Explain what details?" He hears us, but isn't in the living room yet.

I'm petrified.

He sits on the sofa, next to Mom, and gives her a kiss on the cheek. "Explain what?"

Trying to answer, my tongue gets twisted and I bite it..."Ouch." I taste blood.

"What happened, Janet?" Mom is concerned.

"Bit my tongue."

"Harry, our daughter has outgrown this local ballet class. Madame's going to take her to audition for advanced studies. I'll go along, of course. Isn't it wonderful? I knew you would be proud."

"When is the audition?" he asks.

"The 16th." My tongue works now.

"No doubt these advanced classes will cost more. Consider it your Valentine's Day present." 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3