Scene 6

Scene Six...Doc Sasser
Time: Mid morning, Wednesday, November 14, 1945
Place: William's sailboat
Storyteller: William

I'm lying on the sofa, reading, and yawning. 

There's a voice outside; southern accent. He's talking to Tom. "Nice Kitty. What happened to your ear? Get into a fight?"

I peek through a small, round window. The man appears about sixty. Medium height, medium weight. Gray hair, gray slacks, gray bow tie. White, long sleeved shirt. Carrying a grocery bag.

Might as well say hello. I step outside. He looks up. Gray eyes! They twinkle as he smiles.

"William Lloyd?" His hand reaches out. We shake. I feel a slight tremor.

"Yes. You must be Betty's Doc Sasser. Please come in."

He hands me the bag. "Grapefruit from my yard."

I thank him as he steps down and gets right to the point. "I want to hire you, son."

"Goodness. Sit down, sir. Iced tea?"

"Water is fine; no ice."

"Sir, I've patched up a lot of soldiers, but medical research is my calling. The plan is to camp out in Viridian library for the winter. Then try to get published.

"I respect that, but...but...boy, I'll beg. We're short handed and I'm not as steady as a few years ago. Need help in surgery. Betty was second in her class, but lacks experience. Can you help us out for a few months?"

I hesitate. He watches me think. I can't say yes or no. "Part time only; no schedule. Call when you need me. The marina phone booth is Wellington 3-8471." I write the number down and hand him the scrap paper.

"Remember, I want to move on by hurricane season."

"Don't blame you a bit. During the '26 storm, Miami doctors operated in ankle deep water. No electricity, so they used kerosene lamps. I practiced in Georgia then; my dear wife was living."

It's easy to feel sorry for Doc.

"Okay, you got a deal. I'll stay til June 1st. If you can't find me here, try the library, gym, or Sal's."

"Oh, you box? I was a middleweight is college; you're probably light heavyweight?"

"Yes, but it's just for exercise."

"Learn is school?" 

"No, my priest. He raised me."

"What? Where did he bring you up?"

"Virginia Beach, but he was born in Chicago. Rough neighborhood. Oldest of seven kids. Had an after school job at the docks. One pay day he got robbed and beat up. Then Tony's dad taught him to box."

"Smart move."

"Sir, may I ask how long you've known Betty?" What a bold question.

"Your black bag in that chair reminds me of the first time I saw her."

"A girl about fifteen walked into the hospital with a small, black medical bag."

"So you want to be a nurse? I'm Doc Sasser."

"Betty Robertson. Nice to meet you. They better have a med school in Florida before my high school graduation."

"Okay, you want to be a doctor? Think about going to Miami undergraduate and then transferring to my alma mater in Augusta."

"Daddy wants me to go to his university, Penn."

"Well, that's the oldest medical school in the country, but Georgia is closer. You have plenty of time to make that big decision. How often can you volunteer with us?"

"Only Saturdays, until Daddy sees my next report card."

"Wise man. Let me show you around."

I hear a meow and notice Tom sitting next to my black bag.

Doc looks up and says, "That was Betty a decade ago. Hope I haven't bored you."

"There's nothing boring about that lady." My mind wonders...I picture a giant king with two beautiful princesses...in a castle. The moat is filled with alligators.

Doc ends my fantasy. "Anything else you want to know?"
Do I dare ask more about the Robertsons? "It's surprising Betty isn't married."

"She should be." Doc becomes somber. "I better get back to work." He changes the subject. "Tell you what. If you come to the hospital tomorrow evening, Betty can give you a tour. If you wait til Friday, you'll be stuck with me."

"Tomorrow evening...definitely, sir."

"Call me Doc like everybody else. I'll tell Betty to expect you. The three of us should have dinner at Sal's soon. Business deduction."

 








Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17