Scene 17

Scene Seventeen...Rubies
Time: After school, Friday, February 15, 1946
Place: Doris's house
Storyteller: Janet


I burst through the front door without knocking. Betty is dressed for work. Doris will be home from her shift soon.

"What did he give you? Show me."

"Hi Janet. How are you?" my sister teases.

"Don't torture me. What did you get for Valentine's Day?"

"I'll tell you about our romantic evening and then show you this." She puts the little, red box on the kitchen table.

I try to grab it, but Betty is quicker.

"Okay, make it snappy. Skip all the boring stuff."

"William ordered us the most expensive entree on Sal's menu, lobster."

"I don't care about food at the moment. Move on."

"We walked back to his boat, arm in arm, with Tom. A golden moon reflected on the water; is full moon tonight?"

"Who cares? What did you drink? How many?"

"Rum and coke. Two."

"Why does William let you drink coke and not me? Never mind. Keep talking."

"He put 'My Funny Valentine' on the record player."

"Seriously? I didn't figure him to be that sappy."

"He handed the box to me, but before I could pull the ribbon, there was a loud knock on the door."

"Tell me you're kidding."

"No, it was Sal. Hospital emergency. William stopped the record; I tossed the box into my purse. He drove, so I was finally free to open my present; even in the dark car, the rubies sparkled."

"Show me right now!"

She does, with a great big smile.

"Beautiful...but how do you know they aren't garnets? Let's go to 'Troxell Jeweler' for an appraisal."

Betty is horrified, "I would never! It's the thought that matters, not the price. Besides, in my heart, I know they're rubies."

Doris walks in looking tired and pale.

"Long day?" I ask.

Betty investigates deeper, "That time of the month?"

"Unfortunately not. I'm irregular. What if I can't have babies?" Doris is almost crying. "My family is gone."

We both hug her.

Betty says, "Don't be silly." She reaches into her signature black bag. "I'll draw some blood and take it to the lab on my way to work; you'll have answers by Monday."

I'm worried, but say nothing. It's going to be a long weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3