Scene 21

Scene 21...Swan Lake
Time : Afternoon, Saturday, March 2, 1946
Place: Ballet School
Storyteller: Janet


Mom is watching me drive. She says, "What do you suppose Brodskys were fighting about last week? And in front of us? When Madame called to say they accepted you, I almost dropped the phone."

"Yea. I was down in the dumps, thinking I'd never see this studio again."

"Park over there. "Mom points to a space in the shade.

Anna introduces me to the class. The two dozen students are probably in high school.  We warm up at the barre, then move to the center.

"Adagio," says Mistress. She leads us through a series of exercises, fluid and focused, performed slowly.

"Arabesque," Anna continues.

I stand on one leg. The other extends behind my body. My goal is to create a smooth line from shoulders to arms and into the toes of my extended leg.

The door slams. Sergey enters, all smiles.

I hold my pose until Mistress says otherwise.

We sit on the floor, facing the ballet master.

Good afternoon ladies...and a few gentlemen."

We giggle and make faces at the three guys.

"Anya, come here please." He puts his arm around her waist. "We have some exciting news. On July 20th, you will perform for the public, my very favorite ballet, 'Swan Lake', by Tchaikovsky."

The class explodes into cheers. We're all on our feet clapping and dancing around...even Mom, a bystander. Where did she get that energy?


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 3