Scene 60

Scene Sixty...The Fall
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, August 3, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


"She has a long way to go," says Sergey to his wife as I open the door.

A few minutes later Anna begins. "En croix."

In the shape of a cross. I go from fourth position front, to second, to fourth position back. Then I fall! My right leg is weak.

The entire class runs to me, even Nancy. Sergey makes them return to centre.

Slowly I stand at the barre. Pupils and teachers stare, while holding their breath.

Sergey tells Anna to teach me strength exercises. Then he says something in French before continuing to instruct the students.

Mistress says, "Adagio, for the next week." She is telling me to exercise at a slow pace.

"Eleve," she says.

I rise onto the balls of my feet.

"Plie and then releve," says Anna.

I go from a demi-plie to the balls of my feet. These will strengthen legs, ankles, and feet.

"Battlement tendus," she says.

My working leg opens and closes, building leg muscles and improving turnout.

"Rond de jambe," says Mistress.

Semi-circular motions on the floor and in the air. This will maximize turnout and increase hip flexibility.

Class is over. Changing out of my tutu, I see it. Half of my rear end is black and blue. William wasn't kidding about my blood thinner medicine causing easy bruising.

Hope I can hide this from Betty.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17