Scene 62

Scene Sixth-two...More Ballet
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, August 10, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


Dance, that's what I need...not the Bahamas.
More ballet lessons...maybe Brodskys will agree to let me join their Tuesday adult class...if I act very mature. It will only be til school starts; school really takes a toll on my Rockettes career.

"Janet, pay attention. You missed a step." Anna caught me day dreaming.

"Echappe," she says.

We do an escaping or slipping movement to the second or fourth position. Feet go from closed to open. Both move equal distance from the beginning spot.

Class is finally over. I bring up the adult lessons to Anna, hoping she'll make an exception for me.

"Okay, give it a try. See you Tuesday." She waves goodbye.

Would love to go for a dip, but don't want people gawking at my bruise. My Bermuda shorts will cover it.

The water is knee deep. I scan for sharks.

Someone says "Hi."

Holy cow, it's Nancy.

"Thanks for teaching me fouettes. That's why I got to be Odile."

Holy cow, she's giving me credit.

"Wanna get a soda?" I ask. "One per week is all I'm allowed."

"Who says?"

We walk to Secrist Drug Store and chat about William.

"So he's your brother-in-law and you have a brother?" she asks.

"Yes, Paul. He's good looking, but too old for you...a vet. Hangs out at 'The Breeze', with the other U.M. guys."

 


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17