Scene 80

Scene Eighty...The Nutcracker
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, September 28, 1946
Place: The Million Dollar Pier
Storyteller: Janet


No sign of rain, but it could surprise me. Nancy and I are walking toward the pier after "The Nutcracker" auditions.

"Clara is such a great character. Her transition from a girl into a woman...I love the way she comes of age," says Nancy.

Hummm. Just when things are going so well between the two of us, my friend wants to be Clara. Thank goodness she doesn't know that half the students tried out for that role, including me.

"Let's get a bagel before walking the pier." I change the subject to something less controversial.

Bagels in hand, we approach Joe's restaurant. I'll be darn, Dad walks out. He blushes, but heads our direction.

"Janet, who is your pretty friend?"

"Nancy, this is my dad, Mr. Robertson."

"Pleased to meet you, sir."

"What are you girls doing over here?"

Mouth full, I point to my bagel. "We're going out the pier to sit in the shade."

"Don't spoil your appetite. We're dining at the club tonight. Your mother deserves a break from cooking."

"Where are you parked, Dad?"

"In the Kennel Club lot. It's so close to Joe's."

A likely story.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3