Scene 66

Scene Sixty-six...Unlike Him #3
Time: After ballet, Tuesday, August 20, 1946
Place: The Million Dollar Pier
Storyteller: Janet

"Janet, your right leg seems stronger already, but don't overdo it," warns Anna.

Class is dismissed a few minutes early. Think I'll take Mom's advice. She keeps talking about the gold and silver glitter pasted on lobby walls of "The Calvert". I head down Ocean Drive to take a peek. The small, family hotel is a block from Pier Park. I enter through a pink door, pretending to be a tenant. I sniff the pink roses in a pink vase before exiting through another pink door. According to the brochure, Mrs. Mitnick, the owner, provides pink ceiling fans, refrigerators, beds, and sheets! Mom always has been a sucker for pink, ever since her "Dogwood Queen" days.

Let's see what's happening on the pier. Hopefully no shark sightings; they give me the creeps. On my way, I buy a bagel.

From the pier, I see a shiny silver roof in the Kennel Club parking lot. Where are my binoculars? Can't find them in my purse. Where are they! I hold the bagel between my teeth and use both hands to rummage around thoroughly. Darn, not here. The bagel falls to the ground. A sea gull grabs it.

Need another bagel.

This is unlike him. Next Tuesday the binoculars will be with me.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17