Scene 77

PART IV...Scene Seventy-seven...P.I. Report
Time: 8:00 AM, Tuesday, September 17, 1946
Place: Harry's home office
Storyteller: William


We wake up to a peachy-pink sunrise and twiddle our thumbs until Betty decides it's time to face her father.

"Thank you for seeing us before work, Daddy." She gives him a kiss.

"No problem. What's up?"

Harry's at his desk. Betty and I are in the client's chairs, facing him. Lucy's at my feet. The dog must sense that I need her for moral support this morning.

I get it over with...the bizarre identity switch story. Harry didn't interrupt.

He looks at Betty. "Did you learn this before or after the marriage?"

"Before."

"I trust your judgment. How can I help?"

My wife explains Vivien's blackmail threat.

I add the part about the gangster.

Harry erupts in a belly laugh. "Don't worry about Vivien. Early August the bartender at 'The Breeze' warned me. Steve said their new singer, an older sex-pot, had her eyes on Paul. I hired a P.I.; he gave me this report Friday morning."

He hands us the investigation findings. We skim the information together.

"Daddy, why did you invite Vivien-Victoria to our home, if you already knew this?" Betty holds the papers up with a thumb and one finger, as if they're dirty.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

"Do you mind if I study this while you and Betty cook up a plan?" I ask Harry.

"Be my guest."

I read without speaking.
Born in New York City, 1916
Father died in WWI
Mother sickly
Poverty stricken
Rats in apartment
Sister Victoria died
Mother took her to an Atlantic City orphanage
Mother died
Age 14, worked at James Original Salt Water Taffy
Age 16, quits high school
Age 18, begins singing in clubs
Age 21, third runner up, Miss Atlantic City contest
Age 25, became engaged to Dr. William Lloyd
Age 27, married Jimmy Marconi, Chicago crime family
Age 29, witnessed Marconi's murder, fled to NYC, changed name to Victoria
Age 30, got a job singing at 'The Breeze'
I've read enough.

"She knows too much. The mafia is after her." I conclude.

Harry adds, "I called Tony. He said the Marconi's are infamous in Chicago. They 'take no prisoners.'"

"I want her gone, but not...hurt...or worse." Betty spells out her mixed feelings.

Harry shakes an envelope. "I'm going to give her this, a one-way plane ticket plus cash. She doesn't deserve it, but I want that gold digger far away from my son. New York City is a good place for her to hide."

"When will you give her the envelope, Daddy?"

"Today. Since you turned her down last night, she'll demand money from me...to leave Paul alone. I'll stay home and let her track me down."

"Brilliant." I'm impressed and relieved.

Harry continues, "Stay away from that boat until I say it's safe. Get a hotel room; buy a toothbrush."

"Any guess when we can return?" Betty asks.

"After Vivien and those thugs get out of town. And one more thing, let's keep this identity switch situation between the three of us," says Harry.

"Four," Betty and I both say at once.

"Tony again. You kids call in sick and I'll call the firm."


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3