Scene 65

Scene Sixth-five...Medical issues #1
Time: 6:00 PM, Saturday, August 17, 1946
Place: Sal's Seafood
Storyteller: Victoria


"What a great idea, Paul. We'll have plenty of time to eat before I have to be at work."

"Too bad my sister and her husband are out of town. They live close by and I'd like you to meet them."

"Betty, you mean?"

"Yea, you'll have more in common with her than the baby. Oh, but you and Janet both dance."

"How's she doing, since the accident?"

"Keeps busy dancing. We're all in shock. She's so driven."

The waitress wants our drink order. Paul tells Gail my usual, gin and tonic. He's a "Bud" man.

"Wish I knew more about football, since you played it. We only went to one 'Bears' game."

"Wow. They're the champs now. How about baseball?"

"My husband took me to several 'Cubs' games. We didn't live far from Wrigley Field. Baseball is easier; 1-2-3-out."

"It's so tragic he was killed, especially before you had children."

"We were trying, but I had an ovarian cyst. After the operation, the surgeon said I might not be able to have kids...Let's not talk about medical stuff." I chug-a-lug my drink.

He orders two seafood platters. I interrupt and ask if lobster is available.

"Be sure to bring a bib for the lady," Paul says to Gail. He turns to me and smiles. "You don't want to soil that pretty red dress."

I grin back. Paul is a "keeper". His family might be a problem, though, especially that spoiled brat, Janet.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17