Scene 64

Scene Sixth-four...Unlike Him # 2
Time: After ballet, Tuesday, August 13, 1946
Place: The Million dollar Pier
Storyteller: Janet


"Bye Anna." I wave and leave my first adult dance lesson.

What a nice group of ladies. No shenanigans. Mom should try it. William says dance is great exercise for diabetes.

I meander by the Corsair Hotel, where the Brodskys live. What more could a couple without children want? Art Deco, private bath, elegant, walk-in closet, solarium, private beach. It's first in line on the south, next to the park.

I'm in the park now...thick coconut palms and a bandstand in the middle. A dance floor and stage, with plenty of folding chairs. No wonder Anna raves about the free, live music, a few nights a week.

Following the path from the park, I see the concrete Million Dollar Pier jut several hundred yards out into the ocean. I walk to the end. There are restrooms and a smaller bandstand. The roofed seating area is a good place to prop up my feet and watch people fish. Even kids dangle their poles in the summer water all night and sell their catch at sunrise.

I doze off for a few minutes, wake up grumpy, but jump to my feet. Better get home. On my right, the public beach, next to Corsair's private beach, is packed with sun-bathers. On my left is the forbidden Kennel Club. William told me to stop snooping around there.

He didn't forbid binoculars. I pull them out of my purse. What's wrong with looking? Gangsters won't kidnap me up here with all these fishermen in view. A silver car roof is reflecting in the sun. I focus in closer. It's the Hudson! What's Dad doing here on a Tuesday? This is unlike him. And where is William when I need him? Honeymooning in The Islands. Telling Paul is out of the question...

Forget about suggesting adult ballet classes to Mom. We sure don't want her bumping into him on a Tuesday. Hope she's too busy painting to call his office.

What am I going to do? Calm down. Maybe it's nothing None of my business. That's what Paul would say.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3