Scene 71

Scene Seventy-one...Welcome Home
Time: Evening, Sunday, September 15, 1946
Place: Robertson's dining room
Storyteller: Janet


Victoria isn't here yet, but I hate her. Everybody knows Paul is supposed to marry Doris, my best friend.

"Ding, dong." I run to the front door. There she is with a scrubbed face. Where did she find that frumpy dress?

"Come in. I'm Janet. Everyone's in the dining room."

"Nice to finally meet you," says Vicky.

"Victoria, this is my mom, Mrs. Robertson...Betty and William...and you know my dad and Paul. Let's eat."

Paul is obviously smitten. Why doesn't he see her for the little gold digger that she is? He probably thinks she loves him for his personality.

And Betty is even worse. "Victoria, it broke my heart to hear about your fiance and husband. If you ever need to talk about it, I'd be happy to listen."

I bet she's lying about both men. Dad should have her followed. Lucy loves almost everyone, but she growled at Vicky. My dog is never wrong.

"Thank you, Betty. I'm just so happy you found William, after what you've been through. Where did you two go on your honeymoon?"

"The Bahamas, on our sailboat." William answers.

"How wonderful. I've never been there," says Vicky.

"Me neither," I add.

"Do you live on your boat, now that you're back in Viridian?" She sure is nosy.

"Yes, 'The Betty' is docked near Sal's Seafood. Paul said he took you there," my sister replies.

"The best grouper I've ever eaten. What kind of boat do you have?" Vicky again.

"Thirty-six foot sloop," says William.

"Oh, my fiance had one like that. We sailed up and down the Jersey shore before he left."

"Victoria, you look familiar. Have we met?"

"What's your last name?"

"Lloyd."








Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17