Scene 74

Scene Seventy-four...Bill Again
Time: Evening, Sunday, September 15, 1946
Place: Robertson's patio
Storyteller: Janet


Vicky and I join the men's table. Paul looks mad as heck.

"Speaking of careers, Janet, have you picked a college yet? How about U.M. for undergraduate like Betty? That would thrill your mother."

"Remember Dad, I'm going to New York City to become a Rockette.

Then Vicky shocks me into submission. "You're so lucky. I quit growing at 5'4", too short for Rockettes. At least I can sing."

"You sure can. Let's hear 'Just My Bill.'" Paul practically begs.

Dad echoes his request. "Please, Victoria. I haven't heard you yet."

"If you insist." Vicky is blushing, or is it too much rouge?

"Along came Bill, an ordinary guy..."

The men are eating it up and she knows it. The women hear her melancholy voice. Betty and Mom join us.

"But along came Bill,
who's not the type at all.
You'd meet him on the street
and never notice him."

When did William slip out? Must have gone to the powder room.













 


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3