Scene 84

Scene Eighty-four...Lucy
Time: Evening, Saturday, October 5, 1946
Place: Robertson's
Storyteller: Janet


"Happy Church Wedding!" William gives Mom a kiss and Dad a handshake.

"Thank you. Let's have champagne before dinner. Paul, go get it."

"Betty, do you want to tell them?" William asks.

"Go ahead, William."

"For heaven's sake. Are you pregnant?" I want to know immediately.

"No! Whatever gave you that idea?" Betty sounds sure.

"Because you're married."

"We're moving." William can't wait any longer.

Mom says, "We left our parents and moved to Florida. How can I criticize you?"

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Nice, France," Betty answers.

Dad looks dizzy. He sways. Sits down. We all notice. Lucy runs to him.

We all run to him. Lucy whimpers. We all talk at once.

Betty shouts, "Please. Everyone except William, back up. Paul, get the dog."

"It's nothing. Happened before. Only lasts about a half hour." Dad whispers between breaths.

My brother has to pull Lucy into the back room. He pets her before shutting the door. She's crying.

"Paul, help me get your dad to the car," says William.

Lucy is scratching the wood.

My sister takes Mom to the car.

Betty and William return to me. "Go and sit next to Mother. We'll meet you at the hospital."

Lucy is howling and scratching as I shut the front door.


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17