Scene 79

Scene Seventy-nine...Confidence
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, September 21, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


Rumor has it, Vicky and Dad had a "pow wow" recently. Maybe he paid her to leave town? Well, it's too beautiful a day to dwell on that woman.

Miami weather is convertible weather. I'm half way across the bay, hair in a bun for ballet, but a few strands are blowing wild. I'll tidy up before class begins.

My confidence soars through warm ups. The Tuesday lessons were exactly what I needed to help strengthen my right leg. Of course Maria's P.T. and Madame's Tap and Jazz deserve credit, too.

"Bourree," says Anna.

Oh, good. I do little quick steps in fifth position releve. After Labor Day, Sergey said I could dance in fifth again. My weight shifts from one foot to the other. I travel in several directions.

Class is over. They want to speak with me. Sergey says, "We suggest you try out for 'The Nutcracker."'

Mistress adds, "You'll have until December to gain strength. Think about it."

"No need to think about it. Yes!"

I dash to the Plymouth and put the top down. Can't wait to tell Mom.

Around Coral Gables, the sky opens up and rains on my parade.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17