Scene 27

Scene Twenty-seven...The Kennel Club #2
Time: Lunch hour, Wednesday, April 3, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: William


Mr. Robertson is sitting on the sofa with Tom in his lap. The cat is purring. It's like a nervous habit, the way Harry is petting him over and over. The man is frowning.

"Do you think Lois and Janet saw you?"

"Hopefully not. Lois thought I was playing golf. What a weasel I am to deceive my dear wife. You've got to help me, William."

"Stop punishing yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"Guilt's a form of self-inflicted punishment. It rarely solves the problem...just makes you miserable."

"I'm miserable alright. What will solve the problem?"

"Maybe negative reinforcement. Like when you passed your family on the bay. The second you saw them you were horrified...rapid pulse...sweat. Right? Perhaps that negative feeling has cured you? You might be so afraid of getting caught, you'll never go to South Beach again?"

"By golly, you're right. I'm too scared to disappoint my wife. What if I caused her to have a relapse? I'd never forgive myself. She wouldn't mind an excursion to the track every now and then with my Rotary buddies, but to deceive her...well, Lois is far too fragile for that."

"I'm cured!" Harry stands so abruptly that Tom tumbles into the floor.

He better be cured. I'm not a psychiatrist. This family trusts me more than I deserve.


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17