Scene 39

Scene Thirty-nine...Shark
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, May 18, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


I arrive at ballet early, to give Mistress my decision. "Adette is fine with me, if you'll play Odile."

Anna replies, "Unless another student can master thirty-two fouettes, I'll have no other choice. Good. It's settled."

I put on pointe shoes and warm up at the barre.

Sergey motions me to centre. He speaks to the class. "We're in Act II of Swan Lake. The prince sees a white swan wearing a crown. Suddenly the bird is transformed into a beautiful princess. Because of an evil magician's spell, every morning she turns back into a swan."

He leads me through the dance where they profess love for one another.

Over his shoulder I see Anna. Is she sad...or jealous?

I try to achieve Odette's delicate, fluid arms. My movement is fast, but with small steps.

The class applauds, except Nancy.

After dismissal, I stroll to the pier. Fishermen are catching mackerel, tarpon, snook. Suddenly they scream, "Shark!" Swimmers race to the shore. It's a big commotion. People bend over the railing.

I dash to the rail and look down into the ocean. Hammerhead!!! It dives and disappears. I keep watching. It's gonna take awhile to get that picture out of my head.

Enough excitement. I need some food before the trip home.

Mission accomplished. I lick the cream cheese off my bagel and mosey over to the track parking lot. There's a silver top a couple of rows over. Ohhh, it's navy, too. I stoop down to examine the license plate. When I pop back up, Dad is staring at me. His face is red. What can I say?

"Dad, I just saw a shark from the pier. Then it looked like you in the parking lot, so I ran over thinking you'd want to see it."

"Sorry...can't. I'm late for one of your mother's art activities...met a Rotary friend...we ate at Joe's...lost track of time. Janet, there's no reason to mention this to Mom. It's bad enough that I'm late" He waves goodbye and slams the car door.

That certainly went well. Thought I'd be in big trouble, but apparently he's the one in the dog house...ha, ha.

I have a sick feeling this is no laughing matter. Need to talk with William. Maybe I can pull him aside at Doris's supper party tomorrow night?




Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3