Scene 56

Scene Fifty-six...An Old Secret
Time: Early morning, Saturday, July 13, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: Janet


Won't William be surprised to see me riding a bike again. He'll want to treat me to breakfast. I park at Sal's and walk to the boat.

"Knock, knock," I say and open the door.

There stands Betty...wearing nothing but William's pajama shirt.

Thank heavens he walks out wearing the matching pajama bottoms.

I scream.

They run to me. Betty puts her hand over my mouth. With caution, she removes her hand.

"You're gonna get pregnant and have to get married, just like Mom," I whisper.

"Don't be silly. They eloped almost a year before I was born."

"Nope. They got married seven months before you were born."

"But that was the church wedding Grandpa wanted."

"Yes, but the elopement was a big, fat lie. They promised each other to tell nobody...ever."

"Then how did you find out?"

"Love letters in the attic."

"Oh, my, God, what did Daddy do to you when he found out?"

"They don't know. I only told William...whoops." My hand flies over my mouth.

Betty's jaw drops. She stares into his deep, blue eyes...his eyes look helpless.

And then he says what's been in his heart all these years:

"Your parents didn't HAVE to get married. Your mother didn't HAVE to quit her dream job at the 'Met' for you. Your daddy didn't HAVE to fib about their anniversary to protect your reputation."

"Instead, they could have chosen to put you in a basket and drop you off at the most convenient church...with high hopes that the cleaning lady finds the basket before you starve to death."

"By the way, Janet. We're married. Please excuse me. I need to call Tony."

William heads for the phone booth wearing only pajama bottoms.

Betty gives me a glass of ice water and says, "You're all sweaty. Sit down."

"When did you do it?" I ask.

"Tony married us July 4th."

"So our backyard barbecue was your wedding reception?"

"Yes."

"And then you skipped the honeymoon and took me to fireworks instead?"

"Yes."

"What did Dad say?"

"We didn't tell him."


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17