Scene 45

Scene Forty-five...The Brewing Storm
Time: Afternoon, Sunday, June 9, 1946
Place: Doris's house
Storyteller: Janet


"Stop whining about your dad. I can't stand another word of it. He bought you a car, for heaven's sake!"

"Gosh, Doris. You're usually more patient. Is it that time of the month?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, but I'd be irritated with you anyway.Your father has sacrificed so much for his family."

"Oh, no. The Great Miami Hurricane story again."

"Yes! Think about it. Your dad was observant. He recognized early signs of the brewing storm in the Atlantic and took his family from Miami."

"True, many people died."

"My papa was observant, too. He recognized early signs of the brewing storm in Nazi Germany and sent his family to Miami."

"And you're observant. You figured out the connection between those two stories. Both dads are heroes."

"And I'm jealous that you have a dad and I don't...it's almost Father's Day...next Sunday...the first Father's Day after the war."

"Don't be depressed. We can share him. Let's both chip in and buy 'our dad' something expensive. You can wrap it real pretty. He'll be so surprised to get a fancy gift from me...I mean us."

"Let's go shopping," says Doris. "Oh, I forgot it's Sunday...stores closed. You have lessons with Madame 'C' tomorrow. How about Tuesday after school?"

"Sure. You need a new sundress and I've worn holes in my ballet tights."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17