Scene 37

Scene Thirty-seven...Odette
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, May 11, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


Dad shouldn't have gotten me a convertible. It's not worth the risk. I park several blocks away from the school.

We warm up at the barre in the five positions, then continue with centre practice.

Anna says, "Croise."

This is one of the eight body positions. Legs are crossed in the front or in back, but at an angle to the audience.

"Grande jete." Mistress ends our class with this big jump. The working leg in the air, appears to have been thrown.

School is dismissed, but I'm asked to wait outside. I hear the Brodskys argue in French. Ten minutes later they invite me back into the studio.

Sergey is smiling. He holds Anna's hand. She looks miserable, but speaks, "Janet, my husband and I have always danced the lead roles in 'Swan Lake', in order to preserve the artistic integrity of the ballet. Robert is not ready to play Prince Siegfred, however you are qualified to be Princess Odette. I'll miss being the 'white swan', but you deserve the part."

"Oh, no. I don't want your part, Anna. I'm thrilled to play Odile."

Sergey replies, "That is considerate of you, but it will be better for our school and exciting for the community to see a new lead ballerina. We're hoping Robert can be the male lead dancer next year."

"This will be excellent experience for your Rockette career. Please think about it and give us your decision next week," Anna says. She walks me to the door.

Once outside, I run to the car...take off the shorts and blouse covering my new, red, Jantzen bathing suit...grab the beach towel and head for the ocean.

The water is shoulder deep when I see him...Don, of all people. Haven't crossed tracks with that jerk since last January, in front of Joe's. He's with another conceited guy. What are my choices? Only one. I dive under and swim the opposite direction they are walking. Dive again. Dive again. And again.

Oh, good. They've found a couple of ninth graders to flirt with.

I ride a wave to shore, then make a mad dash for the car; better put the top down to blow dry my hair. It's worth the risk, isn't it?

Darn, is tomorrow Mother's Day? I have to buy something between here and home...downtown. She loves art supplies. No, it's too hard to chose the right colors. Sunglasses? Perfect. She's always out and about these days. I'll pick out something a movie star would wear.




Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17