Scene 31

Scene Thirty-one...The Kennel Club #3
Time: Lunch hour, Wednesday, April 24, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: William


"Where's Tom?" Harry asks.

"He's probably begging at Sal's," I reply.

"First Janet abandons me and then your cat."

"What has Janet done now?"

"I caught her red handed hanging around the track when she was supposed to be in ballet class."

"Gambling?!"

"Heavens, no. She was eating something when I drove out of the parking lot."

"Did she see you? Was she alone?"

"Yes, alone. No, don't think she saw me. Wish I could punish her, but then she would know her dad's a gambler. I'll tell her the ballet classes are too expensive."

"Oh, great. Then if she did see you, she'll think you lost the trust funds at the dogs. I'll bet you she was hungry after all that dancing and craved a bagel. That girl eats constantly and burns it. Since she wasn't with a guy, give her a break."

"You're right! Janet went to class, got hungry, bought a snack, drove home, ate supper... That's a load off my mind."

"But why did you go to the track? I thought passing Lois and Janet on the bridge cured you?"

Harry avoids the question, "Well, I got another negative reinforcement, seeing my daughter so close to that place."

"Let's try another method to get rid of your unwanted behavior. We need to change your motivation. The way you just said 'that place' tells me you consider it disreputable...and someone with your standing in the community cares about his reputation. Your initial motivation, loneliness, is gone now that Lois goes out again. Why not make avoiding 'that place' your priority? If people see you there, they'll talk about you behind your back."

"What would my dad say?" Harry shakes his head.

"Judging by the look on your face, you need to keep a snap shot of him handy."

"My brother and I weren't even allowed to play cards. Now I know why. Wise man, my father. I don't deserve him."


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3