Scene 52

Scene Fifty-two...A Secret
Time: Afternoon, Wednesday, July 3, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: William


"Let's sail over to Palm Island and try to find Al Capone's villa," says William.

"Speaking of Italians, Tony, has anyone ever said you look like Perry Como?" Betty asks.

"Yes, all the nuns think he looks like Perry," William teases.

"What a compliment. I have more gray hair than Mr. Como, but we're both from large Italian-American families. Harry was going to play some of his hit records at your rehearsal dinner...'Prisoner of Love', 'Surrender.'"

"About the wedding...I have a license. You're a priest. Betty and I want you to marry us tomorrow as planned."

"What? I thought Harry rescheduled for Labor Day. Same color scheme, so Janet can shine in that red dress?"

"He did. It will be a renewing of our vows, but nobody will know that except us. It will be another three-way secret."

"No. The giant will find out and kill me."

"Don't worry. I won't move out of Doris's til after the fake wedding," says Betty.

"But your parents want a big shindig for their Princess Elizabeth," Tony argues.

"It's for Daddy, not me, and he'll get his Labor Day shindig."

"Tony...Janet's accident has changed us. Life is too short to waste. We love each other. We want to get married. Will you do it?" I almost beg.

"Yes, I'll marry you and then keep my mouth shut...James 1:19."

"Thank you. Thank you." Betty dances around the boat and gives Tony a kiss.

I summarize the plan. "We get married tomorrow. Enjoy the barbecue at Robertson's. Then take Janet to watch the fireworks from Miami Beach...I owe that girl fireworks. She's been waiting half a year."

"When will you tell her you're married?"

"When she needs to know," replies Betty.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17