Scene 28

Scene Twenty-eight...Odile
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, April 6, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


"I deserve to be Odile."

Mom is concentrating on her driving. "Janet, I'm going to drive home, too. I need more practice than you."

She parks near the ballet school.

"You brought your sketch pad. Will you draw me?"

"Not today. It's so beautiful, I'm going to walk in the wet sand. That should inspire a seascape."

I wave and walk toward the studio.

After warm ups, Anna speaks to me privately. "Put on your pointe shoes, please."

She calls Robert and me to the center. "Help her with the Black Swan grand pas de deux."

At the climax of the dance for two, Mistress says to me, "one fouette rond de jambe en tournant."

I stand on my left flat foot. I whip the right working leg around to the side, creating one turn. I pull the right leg in to touch the supporting knee. My left foot rises up en pointe.

Anna says, "En coda".

She counts to thirty-two as I spin...not near as nervous as when Sergey was watching.

The class claps, except for Nancy.

"This is why Master and I have chosen Janet to be Odile, the black swan. You're dismissed."

The class claps again, except for Nancy.

We're on the way back to Viridian. I can't hold it in any longer. "You should have seen Nancy turn green with envy!"

"Don't gloat, dear." Mom's holding onto the wheel with both hands...eyes glued to the road as we head west.




Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17