Scene 53

Scene Fifty-three...Need to Know
Time: Evening, Saturday, July 6, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: William


"Sal serves the best 'surf and turf'. Thank you William," says Doc Sasser. Tom is in his lap.

"Don't thank me. Harry insisted and picked up the tab. Said something about saving his daughter..."

"Daddy bought the champagne, too. We decided to drink it on the boat, in private. Want a refill, Doris?"

"No, thanks. When did Tony slip away without even telling me good-bye?"

"Yesterday. He'll be back Labor Day for the renewing of our vows," I casually mention.

"Oh, the wedding." Doc is losing his hearing.

"No, the renewing of our vows," I speak louder this time.

Our guests stare at us with bug eyes.

"We're married!" Betty bounces up and down laughing.

"You can't tell anyone. Only the five of us know," I remind them.

"Tony!" Doris figured out the fifth person.

"You two need to know. I won't...be sleeping at your house every night from now on." Betty blushes and looks at her roommate.

I get down to business. "Doc, the hospital is busy now...the polio epidemic...but you really need to focus on hiring more doctors. Betty and I want to move."

"Where?" They both ask at the same time.

"Nice, France." Betty almost sings the words.

"Who knows this?" Doris looks sad.

"Just the five of us...and it needs to stay that way for now...please," I add.

They promise to keep it quiet, but Doc is in shock, so I repeat. "First you need to hire doctors. Then we need to have fun at the fake wedding. Next Betty moves out of Doris's house...maybe Maria could move in? By October Janet will be tap dancing..."

"That's when we'll tell Daddy and Mother...when Janet's stronger."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17