Scene 30

Scene Thirty...Black Eye
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, April 20, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet

If I have an accident in Betty's car, Dad will never buy me one. I drive the 1940 Ford V8 with care, just like mom would. How long will it take Dad to find something for me? The problem is, factories quit making cars during the war...only military vehicles. No wonder Paul's so busy at the auto repair shop, even if it's a part time job...now that he's in college.

A half hour later, my day dreaming has ceased. Anna and Sergey take turns working us to death. Muscle pain is the only thing on my mind.

"Allegro," he says. "Faster, faster."

We do brisk, dynamic jumps in sequence.

"Changements," she says.

We begin in fifth, jump in place, then switch feet positions while in air...landing in fifth with the opposite foot now in front.

Praise heaven, they cut class short. We sit on the bench. I'm on guard for a new trick from Nancy, but the silly girl tries to trip me again. I fall toward her; my elbow slams into her right cheekbone.

"Oh, so sorry. Hope you don't get a black eye." I fib, then charge out into the sunshine.

This calls for a celebration...and Mom isn't here. The million dollar pier awaits! It's a short walk. I buy a bagel with cream cheese on the way.

Wait til William hears how I used his self defense training. What a happy day. Which reminds me, Betty's birthday is a week away. Hope he buys her a ring.

Why not take a detour and nose around the dog track? I stick the bagel in my mouth. Then a Hudson comes out of the Kennel Club parking lot. A silver and navy Hudson. Dad's Hudson. I swallow wrong and have a coughing fit. It wasn't as serious as it sounded. Don't think he saw me. No, I'm sure he didn't.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3