Scene 42

Scene forty-two...Unlike Him #1
Time: After school, Thursday, May 23, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: Janet


"Is Betty at work?" I ask.

"Yes, why?"

"Because I have another secret to tell."

"Please no. We're engaged. No secrets."

"But I must tell you and if Betty finds out she'll be sick with worry. Is that what you want?"

"I hate this. Get it over with," says William.

"Nosy me...I surprised Dad in the Kennel Club parking lot. Actually we surprised each other. Normally I'd get the ninth degree, but instead he asked me to deceive Mom about his whereabouts. Well, that's a first. It's not like him at all. Something is wrong with him or between my parents. I'm scared."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Just keep an eye on him. A couple of other times I caught him headed toward South Beach or leaving that parking lot, but he didn't see me. This is odd. I'm worried about him instead of the other way around."

"Janet, the track has a license. It's legal but it's not for young people, especially not pretty blonds who look older than their sixteen years. I'm not concerned about your dad betting on the dogs every now and then with his Rotary buddies, but you need to stay away from that place. Ever heard of the Mafia?"

"I can take care of myself, thanks to your boxing lessons."

"Ever heard of kidnapping at gun point?" Now you have me in a tight spot. If you get hurt, I'll never forgive myself. If Betty learns the secret, she'll never forgive me. The engagement will be off...the marriage...she'll divorce me...and take our kids with her."

"You're getting ahead of yourself. I'll steer clear of the track, but not the pier."

"Please don't make me regret this. And don't tell anyone...not Doris...not Betty..."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17