Scene 38

Scene Thirty-eight...A Wedding Plan
Time: After church, Sunday, May 12, 1946
Place: Robertson's home
Storyteller: Janet


"My goodness, Janet. These are so glamorous. I really need them. Thank you."

"Hummm. Lois, you're going to look like Betty Grable in those," Dad adds.

Betty and William are rattling around in the kitchen. I waltz through the swinging door.

"Nice of you to skip church and cook on this special day. May I help with the dishes?"

"I'll wash, William dry, you put them away."

"When are you going to learn how to cook?" he asks.

"Never. Rockettes don't have time. They grab quick bites at drug store counters...like in the movies. Plenty of those in New York."

"Janet, make a plate for Paul. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans. Top it with gravy."

"Just a minute. Dad's trying to get my attention."

"Where's your brother? He should be here today, of all days."

"He went someplace with Doris. Said he'll be home by supper." I cover for him.

"Well, Doris is probably helping him find a gift for you, dear." Dad looks at Mom.

Heavens. If he only knew they went drag racing near Ft. Lauderdale. Paul better not come home empty handed.

"Let's go to the living room and chat about this wedding." Dad leads the charge. "Of course the mother of the bride traditionally has the last word."

William carries a tray of fresh lemonade. It looks heavy.

"Harry, I really don't want the last word. You know the Coral Gables Art Exhibition is the second week in June. I've promised to enter three pieces. The pressure makes me nervous."

"Please don't be nervous, Darling. We'll get the wedding ball rolling. You focus on painting until after the show. Then you can fix whatever we did wrong."

Mom grins at Dad.

"I've already reserved Plymouth Congregational Church in Coconut Grove. Let's pray it doesn't rain so the ceremony can be at the pulpit in the walled garden. Of course, the reception will be at the club. Betty, the banquet manager wants you to call him soon. I found a band that sounds like Tommy Dorsey."

Dad's on a roll. "I'll take care of the tuxedos. Tony won't need one, will he, William?"

"Nope."

"How about red, white, and blue for the colors?" I suggest.

Dad answers, "Good thinking. Buy the dresses before ordering flowers and decorations. We don't want anything to clash. What's left?"

"Doris is planning a shower for me."

"Yes, she told me. One last thing. Janet, next Saturday take your mother to Burdines. Help her find the most elegant 'mother of the bride' gown in the store. Sky blue. Make sure she gets clothes for that 'la de da' exhibition, too. Lois, you really need a new wardrobe. Everything you put on is too baggy."

"We'll do it Friday after school. Saturday is Mom's art guild and my ballet, remember?"


 




Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17