Scene 36

Scene Thirty-six...1940 Plymouth
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, May 4, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


It was William's party, but when the folks drove up in a gift for me...well...what a sight. Now here I am, driving my royal blue, 1940, Plymouth convertible to South Beach. Will I ever stop smiling?

I park. This is the beginning of our tropical rainy season...better put the top up.

Anna takes it easy on us today. No pointe shoes. We mainly glissade, the traveling step. It links steps together.

I glide my working foot from fifth. The other foot closes to it. I do a demi plie from closed position. Then my working foot glides from the floor to inches above. My other foot pushes away from the floor. Knees are straight. A plie shifts my weight to the working foot. Another glide and another demi-plie.

Class is over. Can't wait to see the car again. I skip out the studio door just in time to watch a rock arch through the air and land, with a thud, on the trunk of my new Plymouth.

Nancy's throwing arm is still extended. I run like a bat out of hell and catch her by the hair. This time she gets another black eye, plus several gut punches before Sergey saves her life.

Shaking with rage, I walk backwards all the way to the car. The dent is deep, but my brother can fix it. I head home with the top down...need fresh air. Without warning a late day thunderstorm breaks mid way across Biscayne Bay. By the time I can pull over and put the top up, my interior is drenched.

Dad can't see this. I drive to Doris's. Nobody is home. Borrow her oldest towels and get to work. A familiar motorcycle stops.

"Get in the house. Dry your hair. Put on Betty's clothes. I'll finish up here. Then you have some explaining to do. Why did your dad get you a convertible?"


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3