Scene 57

Scene Fifty-seven...Man to Man Talk
Time: Early morning, Friday, July 19, 1946
Place: William's boat
Storyteller: William


"Knock, knock." I answer the door. It's Harry.

He comes right to the point. "I was having breakfast at Sal's...saw Betty leave...looked over...there she went..."

"We're married, sir."

"Thank God," he exhales. "I was planning to have a man to man talk with you."

"I'm sorry, sir."

"When did this happen?"

"Fourth of July."

"Why that sly fox, Tony."

"He didn't want to do this to you. We convinced him you'd never find out."

"That's preposterous. Half of the Rotary Club eats breakfast here. They must be snickering behind my back."

"I'm so sorry, sir."

His wheels are turning. "I need to cancel the fake wedding, put a formal announcement in the paper, call our minister. He'll put it in the church bulletin. Heavens, what if Lois hears about this at the beauty parlor? Let's tell her tonight...and Paul...and Janet."

It almost flew out of my mouth about Janet catching us red handed. I'll have to buy her silence.

"Meet us at the club tonight, seven o'clock, just the six of us. Prime rib. The best wine...of course red. Italian, no French. I need to call Tony. Lots to do." He rushes off.

Thankfully Swan Lake is tomorrow, not tonight. Janet has to be at both.


Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17