Scene 54

Scene Fifty-four...The Apology
Time: Afternoon, Sunday, July 7, 1946
Place: Robertson's home
Storyteller: Janet


The doorbell rings. Mom's shopping, so I answer it. "Anna, what a nice surprise. Thanks for all the hospital flowers. Come in. Let's visit on the patio. I was just going to pick a few mangoes. Take as many as you like. I'll get another bag."

She says, "We are so very sorry about your accident. I'm stunned to see you up and around. Let me help with the fruit."

"It was a miracle." I reply.

"Are we alone?" Anna asks.

"Yes. Just Lucy." I pet my dog.

"Please accept both of our apologies. Sergey would have come...but thought it best not to...he's embarrassed."

"You're both welcome here."

"I need to tell you why we acted so inappropriately. Will you hear me out?"

"Sure."

"It begins way back in Russia. Sergey and Dina, his fiancee, both danced for 'Kirov Ballet.' They planned to defect together, especially because he is Jewish. At the last minute, she refused to leave her homeland and family. He was devastated, but wanted freedom."

"Poor Sergey. To be forced to make that choice...but what does that have to do with me?" I ask.

"You could be her twin. That's why he didn't want to take you on as our student. I didn't think that was fair to you."

"Now I finally understand!"

"Janet, he loves me, but in a weak moment, you were Dina, and he was back in Russia...if only in his imagination."

"I forgive him...I haven't told anybody...I won't ever."

"Then please come to Swan Lake. Madame Caillebotte wants to bring you."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll call Madame."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3