Scene 51

Scene Fifty-one...Wine
Time: Evening, Tuesday, July 2, 1946
Place: Robertson's home
Storyteller: Janet


Lucy's by Tony's feet. "I like your dog Janet."

"She must love you, because she's been glued to me since yesterday."

"I hear your physical therapist is moving to Viridian tomorrow."

"Maria, yes. I'll have her, and my dance teacher Madame 'C', and my boxing coach..."

"Wait a minute," says William. "You can't box for six months."

"Why not?"

"Because you must take a blood thinner pill for that long to prevent clots. The medication will cause you to bruise easily."

I roll my eyes...too tired to fight.

Dad hands the priest a glass of wine and sits down next to him. "Cheers."

"Tony, I hear you went to Loyola. When did you graduate?"

Here we go again. College. How boring. I shake my head.

"1919, but I should have gone to war instead."

"I feel the same way. Should have quit law school. Sam did. Do you know who Sam was?"

"Yes, I'm very sorry for your loss."

"Dad, Tony needs a refill."

"Harry, this red is exceptional. You must be a collector."

"Let's go to the bar for a tasting." The two new best friends walk through the patio doors.

William and I stay put, relieved our dads hit it off. Mom, Betty, and Paul join us.

"Wait til Harry learns Tony's a wine connoisseur." William laughs. "French and Italian."

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17