Scene 34

Scene Thirty-four...Father Tony
Time: After lunch, Sunday, April 28, 1946
Place: Marina phone booth
Storyteller: William


A little dizzy from the champagne, I close the phone booth door.

"Operator, I want to place a person to person call to Tony Barletta, Virginia Beach, Virginia." I give her the number and coins. "clink, clink, clink..."

"Hello, Tony. How are you?"

I listen.

"Good, good...and the sisters?"

I listen.

"Hummm. Tell her to drink lots of water and get plenty of rest."

I listen.

"No, I'm fine, couldn't be better. If I phoned more often it wouldn't scare you to death. In fact, I have wonderful news. Betty proposed and I said yes."

I listen.

"Yes, proposed marriage. The wedding will be July 4th. So on Independence Day, I'll lose mine. Ha, ha."

I listen.

"Yes, she knows the secret. We're going to keep it between the three of us for now."

I listen.

"No, no, you're not riding the bus. I'll send a plane ticket. How long can you stay?"

I listen.

"Okay, but next time longer."

I listen.

"We'll have two services. The first one Catholic; that's your job...family only, except Sal; he's Italian. The second one will be big. Not sure what kind of Protestant...whatever Harry says. The operator wants more money, so let's hang up. See ya soon. Bye...click."

That went very well. Tony didn't even seem surprised.





Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17