Scene 47

Scene Forty-seven...Dance recital
Time: Evening, Saturday, June 22, 1946
Place: Viridian Community Theatre
Storyteller: William


Why must we sit in the front row? First Paul, then Lois, Harry, me, Betty, and Sal. Doc and Doris are working.

"Fortunately Madame Caillebotte was able to rent the theatre for her recital," says Betty.

"It's warmer than usual, but the fans help," I reply. "Sal, how did you manage to take off work on a Saturday night?"

"Janet's worth it. Gail's the hostess," he says with an Italian accent.

"Thank you for donating refreshments for the after-party, Sal." Betty continues to chat with him.

I close my eyes to relax until the show begins. Harry's voice carries; he's still upset about the art exhibition. Lois's painting came in second. He says she got robbed...wants to call the judge at home.

Lois looks straight into her husband's eyes. She puts her index finger over her lips and goes, "Shuuu."

I grin and continue eavesdropping. He thinks Lois is even more beautiful than usual in her new dress and heels. She thinks he still looks like Jimmy Stewart.

"What 's Janet wearing tonight?" Harry asks.

"My old aqua blue satin. Remember my senior prom at Bryn Mawr?" Lois is flirting!

"How in the world could I ever forget? You must have gotten it altered to fit Janet. You're bigger in the top."

"She didn't want it altered. I have a suspicion she borrowed Betty's bra and stuffed it with toilet paper."

"Please tell me you're kidding, Lois..."

Madame "C" is center stage and everyone except Harry is clapping. The French lady compliments all her students individually before introducing her prize pupil, Janet Robertson.

She dances out like a butterfly, gracefully runs forward, twirls around several times...and falls onto a floor stage light. She rolls over unconscious. Her right groin is bleeding profusely.

I fly to her...I'm thinking...thinking...Not enough time to get to Miami.

"Sal, call hospital. Tell Doc and Doris to prepare operating room...need pints of blood."

"Harry and Paul, put her in the car...no time for ambulance."

"Lois, sit with her. Bend her right knee up."

"Betty and I are going on the bike."

"Paul...drive like hell."





Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 3