Scene 29

Scene Twenty-Nine...An accident?
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, April 13, 1946
Place: Ballet school
Storyteller: Janet


Mom turns east toward South Beach. "My art guild switched their meeting time from Saturday mornings to afternoons. Would you try to borrow Betty's car next week? Your father said you may drive alone now that you're sixteen."

"I feel terrible, making you miss a guild meeting. Don't worry. Betty or Doris will give me a loaner. Do some sketching while I'm in class."

In the studio, Anna instructs us to wear pointe shoes. Only three months til the big performance.

We warm up for a demanding lesson. "Grand plie," she says.

I make a large bend of the knees. My heels are off the ground. I look like a frog.

"Saute arabesque and then attitude," says Mistress.

I jump into arabesque and then bend my extended leg at the knee. Hopefully the angle is ninety degrees."

Class is finally over. Yeaaa. I'm on the bench, get up, and walk past other girls. A foot flies out and trips me. I'm flat on the floor.

"Oh. So sorry," Nancy says with a smirk.

I'm hot with anger and pain.

Mom runs to me. "What happened, Janet?"

I get up and walk to the car with a limp. Lucky for Nancy that Mom thinks my fall was an accident.

Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17