Scene 44

Scene Forty-four...Shallow Waters
Time: Afternoon, Saturday, June 8, 1946
Place: Ballet School
Storyteller: Janet


"Assemble," says Anna.

We lift off the floor on one leg. We land on two legs at the same time and return to fifth position.

"Temps leve," Mistress says.

We rise. Hop from one foot. This can be done in any position, but she demands fifth today.

Anna calls Nancy and me aside. "While the others do barre exercises, Janet, teach her a proper fouette."

Lord. She's making me work with my arch enemy. I obey.

Nancy pays attention. Spins rather nicely. She always has had aspirations to be the black swan. She didn't trip me until I was picked for Odile.

We are finally dismissed. I need a dip.

The shallow water soothes my aching feet. Looking toward the horizon, I wonder how many sharks are between me and that big cruiser.

What a chicken. Fear is ruining all my fun. Is one hammerhead gonna keep me in shallow water forever? I dive under the waves and swim a few laps...but...can't get that beast out of my mind. Time to go home.

I walk to the studio. Is someone standing in front of the full length windows?

Yes, it's Sergey. And he's staring at me.

I dart around the side of the building.

Anna doesn't see me as she leaves, slamming the door behind her.

I stand still for an eternity, waiting to see if he follows her. Guess not. I've drip dried.

There's something unsettling about Sergey. What is it with me and men? Just when I think my only male problem is Dad...






Popular posts from this blog

Scene 95...Epilogue

Scene 21

Scene 17